FileCat premium

John Colianni - Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 37 (1995) [Bop, Swing]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

John Colianni - Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 37 (1995) [Bop, Swing]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 17 Sep 2021, 05:52

Artist: John Colianni
Album: Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 37
Genre: Bop, Swing
Label: Concord Jazz
Released: 1995
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Blue and Sentimental (Basie-Livingston-David) - 3:33
  2. Stardust (Carmichael-Parish) - 5:57
  3. What's Your Story Morning Glory? (Williams-Lawrence-Webster) - 4:51
  4. It Never Entered My Mind (Rodgers-Hart) - 5:32
  5. Londonderry Air (Trad.) - 4:01
  6. Don't Stop the Carnival (Rollins) - 4:31
  7. When Your Lover Has Gone (Swan) - 3:43
  8. Ja-Da (Carleton) - 3:53
  9. Basin Street Blues (Williams) - 5:52
  10. I Never Knew (Kahn-Fiorito) - 4:12
  11. Baby Won't You Please Come Home (Warfield-Williams) - 4:16
  12. Tea for Two (Youmans-Caesar) - 6:13
  13. Goodbye (Jenkins) - 3:13
  14. Heart Shaped Box (Cobain) - 3:57

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Best known as Mel Tormé's pianist in the '90s, Colianni sounds like an interesting young man in the liner notes to his Maybeck solo recital (Vol. 37 in the series) -- interested in all kinds of music and not all that enchanted with bop. Yet this mostly conventional recital is far from a statement of rebellion, or a statement of anything other than the usual generic veneration of the old masters. I will say this; Colianni brings a dazzling technique, even by Maybeck standards, to his bop-laced-with-stride-and-Tatum interpretations. His "Tea For Two" in particular is drenched in a copycat Tatum conception, but at least Colianni has the chops to pull it off. The sole flash of an inquiring mind comes at the end, where Colianni sticks in a nicely bleak rendition of the late Kurt Cobain's "Heart Shaped Box" -- possibly its first jazz interpretation -- just after Gordon Jenkins' "Goodbye." They do fit together, and he should explore more such juxtapositions.
Review by Richard S. Ginell

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”