FileCat premium

Johnny Frigo - Johnny Frigo's DNA Exposed! (2001) [Mainstream Jazz, Swing, Violin]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Ragtime, Dixieland, Big Band, New Orleans Jazz, Jump Blues, Neo-Swing
Mike1985
Uploader

Johnny Frigo - Johnny Frigo's DNA Exposed! (2001) [Mainstream Jazz, Swing, Violin]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 25 Sep 2021, 14:34

Artist: Johnny Frigo
Album: Johnny Frigo's DNA Exposed!
Genre: Mainstream Jazz, Swing, Violin
Label: Arbors Records
Released: 2001
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. I Concentrate On You - 4:53
  2. Poor Butterfly - 4:51
  3. Cheek To Cheek - 4:38
  4. What Is There To Say? - 3:34
  5. Nobody Else But Me - 6:01
  6. Try A Little Tenderness/Sweet Lovely - 5:49
  7. Hair On The G - String - 4:33
  8. I Love You - 2:52
  9. Too Late Now/Street Of Dreams - 6:22
  10. She Loves Me - 2:45
  11. Crystal Silence - 6:51
  12. Tanga - 4:49
  13. What'll I Do? - 2:28

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Johnny Frigo - violin
  • Bill Charlap - piano (1,2,4,5,6,11,12)
  • Bucky Pizzarelli - guitar
  • Frank Vignola - guitar (3,7,8,9,10)
  • Nicki Parrott - double bass
  • Joe Ascione - drums

Without resorting to forensics, Frigo's DNA can easily be traced to Joe Venuti, Russell Procope, Eddie South and, of course, Grappelli. Traces of all their DNA can be found on every track of Johnny Frigo's DNA Exposed!: the inescapable bent tones; the near-conversational dynamics of phrasing; the very forgivable straying from intonation (portamento?) that renders it a solo instrument by preference; and when you blend the previous, an inevitable sense of musical humor.

Talk about humor: 12 of the 13 tracks are basically golden oldies. Frigo's sole contribution as a writer is "Hair on the G-String," with its Monkish, bow-in-cheek head. The most intensely swinging cuts are "Cheek to Cheek," "She Loves Me" and Dizzy's "Tanga." The most fascinating track is Chick Corea's "Crystal Silence": pianist Bill Charlap is at his most rhapsodic and Frigo furnishes tasteful tremolos and other effects.

Bucky Pizzarelli provides sensitive, descending support just where it's needed on "What Is There to Say?" Frigo provides his own Asian pizzicato for the intro to "Poor Butterfly." The support from guitarist Frank Vignola, bassist Nicki Parrott and drummer Joe Ascione never disappoints. It's such a civilized album of gentle swing from a less complicated era.

Return to “Early Jazz, Swing, Gypsy (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”