FileCat premium

Paul Smith - Delicate Jazz (1958/2011) [Bop, Cool]; FLAC (tracks)

West Coast Jazz, Soul-Jazz, Standards
Mike1985
Uploader

Paul Smith - Delicate Jazz (1958/2011) [Bop, Cool]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 02 Oct 2021, 07:32

Artist: Paul Smith
Album: Delicate Jazz
Genre: Bop, Cool
Label: Capitol/Toshiba-EMI
Released: 1958/2011
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. Gisele (Baker) - 2:44
  2. I've Got You Under My Skin (Porter) - 3:14
  3. Love Walked In (Gershwin-Gershwin) - 3:02
  4. Fine and Dandy (James-Swift) - 2:47
  5. Fools Rush In (Mercer-Bloom) - 3:34
  6. Chicken Wings (Smith) - 2:38
  7. All of You (Porter) - 2:23
  8. The Lady in Red (Dixon-Wrubel) - 2:21
  9. But Not for Me (Gershwin-Gershwin) - 2:40
  10. It's All Right with Me (Porter) - 2:46
  11. Why Do I Love You? (Hammerstein-Kern) - 2:58
  12. Cookie Time (Smith) - 2:44

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Paul Smith - piano
  • Bob Cooper - tenor saxophone
  • Julie Kinsler - flute
  • Tony Rizzi - guitar
  • Joe Mondragon - bass
  • Stan Levey - drums

The Sound:
Swing is the keynote... swing with a light, bubbling effervescence ... as Paul Smith and his five teammates polish up and polish off ten standards and two original compositions in this collation of "Delicate Jazz:' Smith and his front-line cohorts, Bob Cooper (tenor sax) and Julie Kinsler (flute), put down a strong melodic line, adding intensely personal embellishments to the original patterns of each song. The rhythm men, Tony Rizzi (guitar), Joe Mondragon (bass) and Stan Levey (drums), set a churning pace that floats the group on an easy, breezy level. The unrestrained joy of the set is typified by It's All Right With Me, a romp with brisk solos by Smith, Cooper and then Smith again. Most of the standards are taken uptempo, a notable exception being Fools Rush In, which features a haunting byplay between Smith's piano and Kinsler's warm, emotional flute. The two originals, Chicken Wings and Cookie Time, are lilting and cheerful with a sparkle that typifies the cool, cheery world of "Delicate Jazz"

The Sextet:
Paul Smith contrasts his size (six-foot-four, over two hundred pounds) with an extremely deft and delicate touch at the piano, delivering swinging sounds on an almost ethereal plane. Behind Paul is over a decade of playing and arranging experience with such leaders as Tommy Dorsey, Billy May, Les Baxter and Paul Weston. Paul has four previous Capitol albums to his credit: "Cascades!" "Liquid Sounds!" "Cool and Sparkling" and "Softly, Baby!"

Bob Cooper (tenor saxophone) joined Stan Kenton at twenty, has since been featured with Jerry Gray, The Lighthouse All-Stars, Shorty Rogers and Pete Rugolo. Married to vocalist June Christy (another Kenton alum). Bob stars in his own Capitol album, "Shifting Winds."

Julie Kinsler (flute) migrated from Chicago to California, where he's played with Johnny Richards, Frank de Vol, countless studio groups. Southern California symphony orchestras. Currently on the staff at NBC, Julie is active both in television and recording.

Tony Rizzi (guitar) gave up the violin after hearing Charlie Christian. He first worked with Paul Smith in Sgt. Ziggy Elman's Air Transport Command band at Long Beach, California in 1943. Other associations include Milton DeLugg, Alvy West, Boyd Raeburn, seven years with Les Brown. He is currently on the staff at NBC.

Joe Mondragon (bass), who is perhaps the West Coast's most-recorded bassist, began his musical career at fourteen playing drums, switched when band needed a bass. He became a mainstay of Woody Herman's band after the war. The first of innumerable recording dates was with Alvino Rey. Joe is presently on the staff at Warner Brothers.

Stan Levey (drums) served with Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and Oscar Pettiford as one of the first and most important of the "bop" drummers. Stan later worked with Georgie Auld, Stan Kenton, Woody Herman and Charlie Ventura. Currently playing at the "Lighthouse" in Hermosa Beach, California, Stan is featured with Billy May's band in the Capitol album "Hi-Fi Drums!"

Return to “Mainstream Jazz, Cool (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”