FileCat premium

Chris BadNews Barnes - BadNews Rising (2021) [Blues]; FLAC (tracks)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

Chris BadNews Barnes - BadNews Rising (2021) [Blues]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 03 Oct 2021, 09:50

Artist: Chris BadNews Barnes
Album: BadNews Rising
Genre: Blues
Label: VizzTone
Released: 2021
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. You Wanna Rock? You Gotta Learn The Blues (5:24)
  2. When Koko Came to Town (4:14)
  3. Quid Pro Quo (3:40)
  4. My Baby Be Cray Cray Cray (4:38)
  5. I Slow Danced With Joni Mitchell (3:51)
  6. Chicks Dig Me (4:09)
  7. The Creamy Caramel Café (4:24)
  8. Kettle Black (3:04)
  9. Texas Weiner (3:53)
  10. I Like Cleavage (3:31)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Hokum blues master, vocalist, harmonica player, and television comic, Chris “BadNews” Barnes is dark, jumping, and full of life on his brand new record BadNews Rising. Set to be released on October 1st, 2021 on the VizzTone imprint, the album is Barnes’ first original batch of blues material and was produced by Grammy winner Tom Hambridge (Buddy Guy). Barnes is a former Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, 30 Rock, and Carol Burnett television show performer and writer who also has a strong musical talent and an obvious way with words. His songs range in tone from satiric and funny to honest blues to absolutely heartbreaking and back again. His vibe is salacious, borderline outrageous, and full of double entendres and subversive wit that’s reminiscent of Frank Zappa. Barnes is definitely not your normal blues artist but his style and approach to three-chord art and entertainment absolutely deserves recognition in the contemporary scene.

Barnes tracked these new tunes at Nashville’s Sound Stage Studio with a high-powered band made up of Kevin McKendree (Delbert McClinton, Anson Funderburgh) on piano/B3, Tommy MacDonald (Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter) on bass. Pat Buchanan (Cameo, Hall & Oates) on guitar and harmonica, and Tom Hambridge (Buddy Guy, Susan Tedeschi, Roy Buchanan) on drums. As a unit, they pack a considerable punch and have the unspoken know-how to work with an artist who is as uniquely creative as Barnes. His emotional range and presence are both incredibly impressive and, mixed with his witty lyrics, make up one unbeatable performer with his own distinctive style. These days, that’s saying something.

Barnes goes deep and speaks his piece on the slow-burn opening cut “You Wanna Rock? You Better Learn The Blues.” It’s a chugging, 12/8 blues form that lays out the central truth of American music in no uncertain terms. Barnes’ vocal take goes from whispered wisdom to shouted passion and doesn’t waste a single word. The band does an expert job of ebbing and flowing with him and you can practically touch their energy as it comes out of your speakers. A minute or so in and you’ll be irreversibly hooked.

“When Koko Came To Town” is another heavy, ebullient blues that tells tales of Barnes’ early days performing with Koko Taylor and other blues legends at the legendary NYC club Tramps. Barnes has lived out some truly incredible moments in his life and his passion for telling his own story is obvious. This one has a big sound thanks to some muscular horns flying over its driving groove and Barnes’ gutsy performance makes it all feel truthful and real.

One of the best cuts on BadNews Rising is the humorous shuffle “My Baby Be Cray Cray Cray,” which dispenses the kind of real-world relationship advice many of us could benefit from. It’s all about learning to love the crazy parts of your romantic partner and keeping it together with them. It’s a dancefloor hip-shaker that shows Barnes at his storytelling best.

Barnes relates the ups and downs of his existence on the breathtaking autobiographical ballad “I Slow Danced With Joni Mitchell.” The track is emotive and confessional, the kind of song that looks you in the eye and tells you the truth. Barnes has a ton of soul underneath his humor and charm and this one will make you experience every bit of it.

“Chicks Dig Me” puts down a strong blues/rock beat that gives Barnes all the room he needs to explain his overwhelming appeal to women everywhere. It’s a fun song that rocks out nicely and tells some entertaining stories. Be sure to also get some quality time in with deep cuts “Creamy Caramel Cafe” and the closer “I Like Cleavage.” Chris “BadNews” Barnes is bawdy, audacious, and real on BadNews Rising and does a fine job of distinguishing himself from his competitors while remaining engaging and enjoyable from beginning to end. If you’re smart, you’ll get this man into your rotation right away.
By Mike O’Cull

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”