FileCat premium

The Anthony Braxton Quartet - If My Memory Serves Me Right (1987) [Free Jazz, Free Improvisation]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Free-Funk, Experimental Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

The Anthony Braxton Quartet - If My Memory Serves Me Right (1987) [Free Jazz, Free Improvisation]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 08 Oct 2021, 08:04

Artist: The Anthony Braxton Quartet
Album: If My Memory Serves Me Right
Genre: Free Jazz, Free Improvisation
Label: West Wind
Released: 1987
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Improvisation Alpha (21:55)
  2. ...If My Memory Serves Me Right (18:36)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Anthony Braxton - reeds
  • David Rosenboom - piano
  • Mark Dresser - bass
  • Gerry Hemingway - drums

Despite the excellence of this performance by Mr. Braxton's quartet in 1987, with Mark Dresser, Gerry Hemingway, and pianist David Rosenbloom (who preceded Marilyn Crispell), the slim rating on this disc is given for it being on the infamous West Wind label, and is, more than likely, a pirated title. The information for its two selections, "Improvisation Alpha" and the title track, are, for instance, unnumbered! This is the first hint that something is amiss. Braxton's compositions, even if named, are always afforded numbers. The second is the dodgy sound balances in the right channel especially, where the drums are way too high in the stereo mix. Again, in releasing a recording of a live performance, Mr. Braxton is meticulous. Then there's the matter of the cover! Take a look and judge for yourself. Finally, it is painfully obvious that what transpires in both of these works is not complete -- they are excerpts of other pieces combined together on a compact disc. Despite the most interesting interplay between Rosenbloom and Braxton on soprano saxophone, and Dresser's ability to shore up the pianist when he begins to lose his way in Braxton's sound world, it is impossible to recommend this disc because of its slovenly presentation and dubious origins.
Review by Thom Jurek

Return to “Avant-Garde Jazz, Free Improvisation (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”