FileCat premium

Bill Evans - Trio 64 (1997) [Cool, Post-Bop]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

West Coast Jazz, Soul-Jazz, Standards
Mike1985
Uploader

Bill Evans - Trio 64 (1997) [Cool, Post-Bop]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 10 Oct 2021, 12:44

Artist: Bill Evans
Album: Trio 64
Genre: Cool, Post-Bop
Label: Verve Records
Released: 1997
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Little Lulu (Kaye-Wise-Lippman) - 3:52
  2. A Sleepin' Bee (Arlen-Capote) - 5:30
  3. Always (Berlin) - 4:03
  4. Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Coots-Gillespie) - 4:25
  5. I'll See You Again (Coward) - 3:57
  6. For Heaven's Sake (Bretton-Edwards-Meyer) - 4:26
  7. Dancing in the Dark (Schwartz-Dietz) - 4:36
  8. Everything Happens to Me (Dennis-Adair) - 4:52
  9. Little Lulu (alternate take) (Kaye-Wise-Lippman) - 4:39
  10. Little Lulu (alternate take) (Kaye-Wise-Lippman) - 5:07
  11. Always (alternate take) (Berlin) - 4:18
  12. I'll See You Again (alternate take) (Coward) - 4:30
  13. My Heart Stood Still (Rodgers-Hart) - 4:47
  14. Always (breakdown) (Berlin) - 0:44
  15. I'll See You Again (breakdown) (Coward) - 0:22
  16. My Heart Stood Still (false start) (Rodgers-Hart) - 1:04

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Bill Evans - piano
  • Gary Peacock - bass
  • Paul Motian - drums

Joining Bill Evans (piano) on Trio '64 -- his initial three-piece recording for Verve -- is the compact rhythm section of Gary Peacock (bass) and Paul Motian (drums). The effort spotlights their communal and intuitive musical discourse, hinging on an uncanny ability of the musicians to simultaneously hear and respond. All the more interesting, Evans had not interacted in this setting before, having most recently worked with Chuck Israels (bass) and Larry Bunker (drums). The personable opener, "Little Lulu," features the aggregate melodically molding individual and distinct sonic characteristics. Evans' nimble and emphatic syncopation is not only ably supported, but framed by Peacock's expressive runs and Motian's acute sense of timing. "A Sleeping Bee" is one of the collection's most endearing selections as the groove playfully scintillates surrounding some hauntingly poignant chord changes. Evans bandies back and forth with Peacock, the latter likewise providing a stellar solo. "Always" captures a similar effervescence as the instrumentalists ebb and flow in synchronicity. Since the December 18 session was held the week before Christmas 1963, they fittingly tote out "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town," creating a minor masterpiece of post-bop from what could easily have started as a spontaneous seasonal suggestion. Noël Coward's "I'll See You Again" bears a brisk waltz persona, enabling the unit to fluently weave its offerings without obstructing the otherwise affective tune. Concluding Trio '64 is Rodgers & Hart's standard "Everything Happens to Me," with an unhurried tempo lingering just long enough to embrace the familiar refrain. Evans sparkles, gliding around Peacock's full-bodied basslines and Motian's solid yet restrained beat.
Review by Lindsay Planer

Return to “Mainstream Jazz, Cool (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”