FileCat premium

VA - Church Choirs, Gospel Singers and Preachers Volume 2 - 1925-1955 (1997) [Gospel]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Texas, Chicago, Modern and Others
Mike1985
Uploader

VA - Church Choirs, Gospel Singers and Preachers Volume 2 - 1925-1955 (1997) [Gospel]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 05 Mar 2022, 16:52

Artist: Various
Album: Church Choirs, Gospel Singers and Preachers Volume 2 - 1925-1955
Genre: Gospel
Label: Document Records
Released: 1997
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
    Mme. C. MAE FRIERSON MOORE & THE FOUR ACES OF HARMONY (1925)
  1. Everytime I Feel The Spirit
  2. Going To Study War No More

JEWEL MALE QUARTETTE (1926)
  3. Give Me That Old Time Religion
  4. I Ain't Gonna Study War No More

BIG BETHAL CHOIR (1927)
  5. Go Down Moses
  6. Hand Me Down The Silver Trumpet, Gabriel

PERFECT HARMONY QUARTETTE (1927)
  7. My Good Lord's Done Been Here
  8. There's A Meetin' Here Tonight

KETON SEXTETTE (1927)
  9. Jubilee

FORBES RANDOLPH'S KENTUCKY JUBILEE CHOIR (1928)
  10. I'm Gonna Shout All Over God's Heab'n
  11. My Old Kentucky Choir
  12. I'll Be Ready When The Great Day Comes
  13. Deep River

FOUR GREAT WONDERS (1940)
  14. He's Sweet I Know
  15. Just A Little Talk With Jesus

REV. W. M. RIMSON (1949)
  16. Believe On Me
  17. Living Waters

REV. M. E. Holmes (1951)
  18. He'll Answer Prayer
  19. Sign Of Judgement

ELDER CHARLES BECK (1954)
  20. When
  21. I'm Walking With Jesus At My Side

ANTHONY BUTLER (1955)
  22. Judgement's Coming
  23. World's Testimonial
  24. Will My Mother Know Me
  25. My God Is A Mighty Man

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

A wide variety of styles and eras are placed together on this 25-track compilation from Document. The earliest tracks here, two sides made in 1925 by Mme C Mae Frierson Moore which though accompanied by the promising sounding Four Aces Of Harmony are in fact closer to the formal versions of spirituals once popularized by the Fisk Jubilee Singers. Similarly rather formal, and in truth rather dull, are rare recordings by the Jewel Male Quartette (1926) and four sides by Forbes Randolph's Kentucky Jubilee Choir (1928). It is really only the Keaton Sextette, with their previously unissued "Jubilee" from 1927, who whip up a bit of down-home fire. Very different are The Perfect Harmony Quartette who, to me, resemble a white barbershop group. Much better are the Big Bethel Choir from 1927 who perform a pretty stirring version of "Go Down Moses" and the Four Great Wonders from 1940 with a style that was beginning to evolve into the classic quartet sound of the '50s. Their two sides are followed by a couple of tracks by the volatile Rev William M Rimson and two by Rev M E Holmes whose trumpet-driven numbers are reminiscent of the pre-war recordings of Rev D C Rice. Elder Charles Beck is probably the best known gospel figure here though his two sides "When" and "I'm Walking With Jesus By My Side" have none of that wonderful boogie piano Elder Beck once played on the ancient classic "Memphis Flu" by Elder Curry. In fact, Elder Beck's two sides are ruined by cheesy organ. But after this mixed bag of obscurities the compilation finishes on a high note with four sides from 1955 by Anthony Butler & His Singers. Driven by drums and a powerhouse vocal group these sides deserve to be heard by all gospel aficionados.-- Cross Rhythms Editorial Review by Tony Cummings

Return to “Blues (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”