FileCat premium

Teddy Edwards & Houston Person - Close Encounters (1999) [Hard Bop]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

Teddy Edwards & Houston Person - Close Encounters (1999) [Hard Bop]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 22 Jun 2022, 06:15

Artist: Teddy Edwards & Houston Person
Album: Close Encounters
Genre: Hard Bop
Label: HighNote Records
Released: 1999
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Twisted (Gray-Ross) - 5:24
  2. Blue and Sentimental (Basie-David-Livingston) - 4:59
  3. Pennies from Heaven (Burke-Johnston) - 9:44
  4. Night Train (Forrest-Washington) - 5:46
  5. I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance (Crosby-Washington-Young) - 6:16
  6. The Breeze and I (Lecuona-Stillman) - 7:00
  7. Little Girl Blue (Rodgers-Hart) - 8:53

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Teddy Edwards, Houston Person - tenor saxophone
  • Stan Hope - piano
  • Ray Drummond - bass
  • Kenny Washington - drums

A follow-up to their previous excellent CD Horn To Horn has the two veteran tenor saxophonists with the same drummer, Kenny Washington, joined by pianist Stan Hope and bassist Ray Drummond. They swing and stroll through another seven standards, Edwards with his lithe, breezy, matter-of-fact tone, Person displaying the bluesy, street smart literate, fluid approach that always holds him in good stead. There are two selections where Edwards and Person play in lock step, note for note before trading solos. "Twisted" and "The Breeze & I" echo a collective century of jazz friendship, both knowing the tune so well, no stumbling at all. They play in harmony for the old rugged "Night Train," alternate during the easygoing "Pennies From Heaven," and the even smoother "Blue & Sentimental." Each also gets a feature, Edwards consummately punctuating his flattened interpretation of "I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance," while Person goes a little over the top putting his soulful stamp on "Little Girl Blue." Hope does get a smidgen of solo space here and there, while Drummond and Washington do their rhythmic duties admirably, as always. The beautiful thing is that while Edwards continually refines, picking notes even more carefully, and Person digs deeper into his blue gutbucket, there's no stepping on toes. The late Gene Kalbacher, on his liner notes for Horn to Horn called it a mutual "caress" rather than a tenor duel. There's a bit of flailing, but the respectful attitude of these two present-day jazz giants is clear and admirable. This CD is easily as good as the first collaboration, albeit clocking in at only 48 minutes or so.
Review by Michael G. Nastos

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”