FileCat premium

Joey DeFrancesco - Snapshot: The Original Trio (2009) [Soul Jazz, Post-Bop]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

Joey DeFrancesco - Snapshot: The Original Trio (2009) [Soul Jazz, Post-Bop]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 02 Jul 2022, 06:45

Artist: Joey DeFrancesco
Album: Snapshot: The Original Trio
Genre: Soul Jazz, Post-Bop
Label: HighNote
Released: 2009
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Eighty One (Carter) - 7:58
  2. The End of a Love Affair (Redding) - 9:56
  3. Introductions - 2:45
  4. Ode to Angela (Land) - 7:28
  5. Songline (Bollenback) - 6:20
  6. You Don't Know Me (Arnold-Walker) - 7:16
  7. Fly Me to the Moon (Howard) - 8:32
  8. Whichole - 9:20

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Joey DeFrancesco - Hammond B-3 organ
  • Paul Bollenback - guitar
  • Byron Landham - drums

Every once in a while a great live Jazz CD comes around that stands out and just grabs your attention. This is one of them. I have compiled quite a collection of jazz organ CD's over the last few years, and "Snapshot" is definitely a keeper. Mr. Defrancesco is arguably credited by many as reviving the Hammond B3 and jazz organ music in the mid-90's with albums like "Live at the Five Spot" and "Incredible".

Part of the reason this album is so good maybe because he has regrouped with his original trio, Byron "Wookie" Landham (drums) and Paul Bollenback (guitar). Aside from Joey, maybe that's what makes this album so special?

It's absolutely amazing how these three play so intuitively and instinctively together (in the pocket). I can't find any one of the tracks a throw-away for this album. Joey and company seem to move seamlessly from mainstream jazz, to funk, to blues, and back to mainstream with no effort at all. No one overplays their solos and all seem to be able to step out of the way and let each other have a turn to shine throughout the album. They create a rare synergistic effect often only captured in a live setting like this, but with great sound quality.

Recorded live in Scottsdale Arizona at the Kerr Cultural Center on 03-05-09, notable tracks are "You Don't Know Me" and "Fly Me to The Moon". I've heard dozens of different, tired, re-tread takes on "Fly Me" but this one is really special. Mr. Defrancesco's souful approach to "You Don't Know Me" is definitely in the spirit of the late Ray Charles.
Bravo, Joey D., you've definitely hit a home run this time.
D. Albright

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”