FileCat premium

The Jazz Modes - The Most Happy Fella (1957/2013) [Bop, Cool]; FLAC (image+.cue)

West Coast Jazz, Soul-Jazz, Standards
Mike1985
Uploader

The Jazz Modes - The Most Happy Fella (1957/2013) [Bop, Cool]; FLAC (image+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 07 Sep 2022, 07:32

Artist: The Jazz Modes
Album: The Jazz Modes Play Excerpts From The Frank Loesser Musical The Most Happy Fella
Genre: Bop, Cool
Label: Atlantic/WEA/Warner
Released: 1957/2013
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Standing on the Corner (Loesser) - 3:47
  2. Joey, Joey, Joey (Loesser) - 3:57
  3. Warm All Over (Loesser) - 4:59
  4. Happy to Make Your Acquaintance (Loesser) - 4:29
  5. My Heart Is So Full of You (Loesser) - 3:29
  6. The Most Happy Fella (Loesser) - 3:46
  7. Don't Cry (Loesser) - 3:11
  8. Like a Woman (Loesser) - 3:01
  9. Somebody Somewhere (Loesser) - 3:15

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Julius Watkins - French horn
  • Charlie Rouse - tenor saxophone
  • Gildo Mahones - piano
  • Martin Rivera - bass
  • Ron Jefferson - drums
  • Eileen Gilbert - vocals (#5)

Originally released on Atlantic in 1957, the short-lived bop quintet les Jazz Modes performed excerpts from Frank Loesser's third Broadway musical The Most Happy Fella. This tasteful date features Julius Watkins on French horn (and pre-Thelonious Monk) and tenor saxophonist Charlie Rouse, accompanied by pianist Gildo Mahones, bassist, Martin Rivera, drummer Ron Jefferson, and, for this date only, vocalist Eileen Gilbert was added on "My Heart Is So Full of You." Highlights from the nine excerpts of the play include the breezy up-tempo treatments of "Standing on the Corner," "Joey, Joey, Joey," and the contemplative melancholia of "Somebody Somewhere." While it didn't match the huge success of such similarly attempted jazzed-up Broadway hits like Shelly Manne's My Fair Lady or the Miles Davis and Gil Evans collaboration on Porgy and Bess, the complex synchronization of Watkins' fluid mellow tone with the moderately choppy tenor lines of Rouse make for a lyrical bop/cool jazz hybrid that still sounds fresh.
Review by Al Campbell

Return to “Mainstream Jazz, Cool (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”