FileCat premium

Ben LaMar Gay - Open Arms to Open Us (2021) [Psychedelic, Experimental, Avant-Garde Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Free-Funk, Experimental Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Ben LaMar Gay - Open Arms to Open Us (2021) [Psychedelic, Experimental, Avant-Garde Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 12 Apr 2023, 12:37

Artist: Ben LaMar Gay
Album: Open Arms to Open Us
Genre: Psychedelic, Experimental, Avant-Garde Jazz
Label: International Anthem Recording Company
Released: 2021
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Sometimes I Forget How Summer Looks on You. (3:28)
  2. Hood Rich Happy (1:26)
  3. Bang Melodically Bang (3:09)
  4. Aunt Lola and the Quail (4:16)
  5. Mestre Candeia's Denim Hat (1:53)
  6. Oh Great Be the Lake (3:01)
  7. I Be Loving Me Some of You (2:07)
  8. Nyuzura (3:27)
  9. Slightly Before the Dawn (3:25)
  10. Lean Back. Try Igbo (1:20)
  11. Dress Me in New Love (1:53)
  12. Touch. Don't Scroll (4:25)
  13. I Once Carried a Blossom (1:00)
  14. In Tongues and In Droves (5:20)
  15. S'Phisticated Lady (1:35)
  16. We Gon Win (4:19)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Ben LaMar Gay - cornet, voice, organ, balafon, synths, temple blocks, programming, manipulations, percussion, cítara, bass synth, triangle, pandeiro, beatbox, kick drum, things
  • Tommaso Moretti - drums, xylophone, percussion, thangs
  • Macie Stewart, Sima Cunningham - voice
  • Matthew Davis - tuba, trombone
  • Angela, Leia, Mina - a mother raises her daughters up to the mic (ooh Ahh AHH Ooh), voices
  • Johanna Brock - violin, viola, light
  • Tomeka Reid - cello, voice, luz
  • Rob Frye - flute, percussion, ears, tings and tungs
  • Ayanna Woods - voice, electric bass, light, ¡FreshNuss!
  • Adam Zanolini - soprano saxophone, oboe and swang
  • Xoco, Hannah, Francesca, Angela, Adam, Benjamin - Love Choir Dorothée Munyaneza - voice
  • Onye Ozuzu - voice, Igbo alphabet
  • Rain - pouring
  • A. Martinez - poem
  • Gira Dahnee - Florida version
  • Angel Bat Dawid - Louisville recollections
  • Leia, Angela, Xoco, Alyssa, Mina, Benjamin - facts

Chicago cornetist, multi-instrumentalist, and all-around musical mad scientist Ben LaMar Gay continues to push the edges of his genre-defying sound on 2021's surrealistically ambitious Open Arms to Open Us. The album follows several years of Gay's already boundary-pushing work with artists like Makaya McCraven and Nicole Mitchell, as well as his own albums like 2018's equally expansive Downtown Castles Can Never Block the Sun. Loosely triangulating the kinetic post-rock of Tortoise, the cross-pollinated pop experimentalism of David Byrne, and the globally minded avant-garde jazz of Don Cherry, Gay has crafted an album with the giddy, disorienting quality of a David Lynch film. That might lead you to think Open Arms to Open Us will confound your ears; on the contrary, Gay pulls you deeper into his Lynchian dreamscapes, contrasting his wildly inventive genre-clashing with soulful hooks and infectious Krautrock grooves. It's a vibe that's especially redolent on the bubbly, evocatively titled "Bang Melodically Bang" in which Gay croons in a serpentine stream of consciousness against a swirling stew of jazzy bass, drums, and electronic bleeps. Yet more vibrant stylistic mash-ups arrive throughout the album as Gay brings on board a slew of guest performers, including pairing with Chicago indie duo Ohmme for the spiraling prog-R&B number "Sometimes I Forget How Summer Looks on You" and British-Rwandan singer Dorothée Munyaneza on the poignantly dissonant African folk song-meets-Steve Reich composition "Nyuzura." We also get equally potent collaborations with vocalist Ayanna Woods, cellist Tomeka Reid, singer/performance artist Onye Ozuzu, and others. Gay more than succeeds in weaving all of these seemingly disparate sounds together, and Open Arms to Open Us has the engaging feeling of walking through a kaleidoscopic multimedia art installation.
Review by Matt Collar

Return to “Avant-Garde Jazz, Free Improvisation (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”