FileCat premium

Parliament - Clones Of Dr. Funkenstein (1976) [Funk, P-Funk]; FLAC (tracks)

Funk, Soul, R&B
CountryBlues

Parliament - Clones Of Dr. Funkenstein (1976) [Funk, P-Funk]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby CountryBlues » 17 May 2023, 11:04

Artist: Parliament
Album: Clones Of Dr. Funkenstein
Genre: Funk, P-Funk
Label: Mercury Records
Released: 1976
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. Prelude
  2. Gamin' On Ya
  3. Dr. Funkenstein
  4. Children Of Production
  5. Getten To Know You
  6. Do That Stuff
  7. Everything Is On The One
  8. I've Been Watching You (Move Your Sexy Body)
  9. Funkin' For Fun

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Come 1976, and Parliament got up to its usual tricks in that particular incarnation right down to opening backwards-masked vocal weirdness plus sci-fi scenarios in the "Prelude," where "funk is its own reward." With Bernie Worrell and Fred Wesley splitting the horn arrangements and Clinton and Bootsy Collins taking care of the rest, the result is a concept album of sorts you can dance to. The clones get up and do their thing throughout, and if it's not The Wall, then that's all to its benefit. The immediate downside of Clones is that it's a fairly one-note record -- every groove can just about be exchanged for any other one, unlike the wider variety apparent on other releases. Given Clinton and company's sheer work rate, something likely had to give and this is one of the stress points. There are a couple of stronger songs "I've Been Watching You (Move Your Sexy Body)" is classic slow jam territory. Not exactly Barry White, but hearing Parliament tone it down just enough pays off, especially with Worrell's drowsy, sensuous horn charts. "Funkin' for Fun," meanwhile, brings the album to a strong, lively end, with just enough in the call-and-response vocals and horns to spark some extra energy into the proceedings. As is the case with most mid- to late-'70s Parliament, things may not be as deep as what was done as Funkadelic, but only those who always explicitly value lyrical worth have any cause to complain. Listening to the silly squeals and burbles on "Dr. Funkenstein" itself is pure fun with sound, while the good doctor's speech is scientific craziness. As one voice says out of nowhere, "Kiss me on my ego!" Special bonus the utterly goofball cover photo, one of P-Funk's best.

Return to “Funk, Soul, R&B (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”