FileCat premium

Lee Wiley - Sings the Songs of Rodgers & Hart and Arlen (1986) [Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Vocal Jazz
Mike1985
Uploader

Lee Wiley - Sings the Songs of Rodgers & Hart and Arlen (1986) [Vocal Jazz]; FLAC (tracks+.cue)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 04 Jun 2023, 08:51

Artist: Lee Wiley
Album: Sings the Songs of Rodgers & Hart and Arlen
Genre: Vocal Jazz
Label: Audiophile
Released: 1986
Quality: FLAC (tracks+.cue)
Tracklist:
  1. Baby's Awake Now (3:12)
  2. Here in My Arms (3:25)
  3. You Took Advantage of Me (2:53)
  4. A Little Birdie Told Me So (3:00)
  5. A Ship Without a Sail (3:28)
  6. I've Got Five Dollars (2:51)
  7. Glad to Be Unhappy (3:13)
  8. As Though You Were There (2:29)
  9. Let's Fall in Love (3:17)
  10. Moanin' in the Mornin' (2:53)
  11. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (2:41)
  12. Stormy Weather (2:53)
  13. Down with Love (2:46)
  14. I've Got the World on a String (2:54)
  15. Fun to Be Fooled (3:23)
  16. You Said It (2:57)

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Lee Wiley pioneered the "songbook" concept, for which a singer exclusively interpreted the work of one composer. Her Gershwin and Cole Porter projects of 1939-40 were major successes, as is the music on this Audiophile reissue. In a fairly straight but strangely sensuous manner, Wiley sings eight songs apiece by Rodgers & Hart and Harold Arlen while backed by a variety of all-star players associated with Eddie Condon, including pianist Joe Bushkin, trumpeters Max Kaminsky, Billy Butterfield and Bobb Hackett, tenor saxophonist Bud Freeman, and Ernie Caceres on baritone and clarinet. Although many of these songs have been interpreted countless times since, few singers have reached the emotional peaks that Lee Wiley scaled in her versions of "A Ship Without a Sail," "Let's Fall In Love," "I've Got the World On a String," "Down With Love" and especially "Glad to Be Unhappy." This set (along with the previous one) belongs in every serious jazz collection.
Review by Scott Yanow

Return to “Vocal Jazz (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”