FileCat premium

Ray Brown - This Is Ray Brown (1958) [Bop]; FLAC (tracks)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

Ray Brown - This Is Ray Brown (1958) [Bop]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 01 Aug 2023, 08:56

Artist: Ray Brown
Album: This Is Ray Brown
Genre: Bop
Label: Verve Records
Released: 1958
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. Bric A Brac 05:31
  2. Upstairs Blues 06:38
  3. Indiana (Back Home Again In Indiana) 04:37
  4. The Nearness Of You 06:14
  5. Take The A Train 08:05
  6. Cool Walk 06:28
  7. Jim 09:00

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Ray Brown – double bass
  • Jerome Richardson – flute
  • Oscar Peterson – organ, piano
  • Herb Ellis – guitar
  • Osie Johnson – drums

Actually my title is too narrow. This album is an enjoyable listen by fans and jazz aficionados, but is essential study for anyone in a rhythm section. For one thing Brown plays melody on a number of tracks, which is the opposite of what most bassists do. That alone opens ideas and possibilities.

Lest I start babbling about the music and get lost in buzz words listen to the sound samples on this page instead of me. Even the shortest snippets convey the essence of the music and also illustrate what I am trying to say about this being a study in bass and rhythm sections. Again, this is music to be enjoyed by non musicians as well. It has a nice feel and swing to it.

Another thing I love is this is not solely about Ray Brown or bass. It features the Oscar Peterson Trio (of which Brown was a member when this album was recorded), plus Ossie Johnson on drums. Fronting the ensemble is Jerome Richardson on flute who adds an airy element to the music. The Trio here is Peterson on both piano and organ (that is another reason to get this album) and Herb Ellis on guitar.
Mike Tarrani

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”