FileCat premium

Jasper Blom Quartet with Pablo Held - Polyphony 3 (2023) [Contemporary Jazz, Fusion]; FLAC (tracks)

Jazz-Rock, Jazz-Funk, Jazzy Blues
Mike1985
Uploader

Jasper Blom Quartet with Pablo Held - Polyphony 3 (2023) [Contemporary Jazz, Fusion]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 07 Dec 2023, 19:49

Artist: Jasper Blom Quartet with Pablo Held
Album: Polyphony 3
Genre: Contemporary Jazz, Fusion
Label: Whirlwind Recordings
Released: 2023
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. Midding 10:56
  2. Zuri 06:15
  3. Jouska 04:08
  4. Lumen 06:24
  5. Chrysalism 05:17
  6. Insomnia 08:43
  7. Des Vu 08:39

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Jasper Blom - tenor sax
  • Jesse van Ruller - guitar
  • Frans van der Hoeven - bass
  • Martijn Vink - drums
  • Pablo Held - piano/wurlitzer
  • Ben van Gelder - alto sax
  • Joris Roelofs - bass clarinet

Jasper Blom is one of the Netherlands’ most revered musicians and a leading figure on the contemporary jazz scene. He’s known as a versatile soloist, a forward-thinking composer and an expert leader, having fronted his long-time quartet of guitarist Jesse van Ruller, bassist Frans van der Hoeven and drummer Martijn Vink for over 20 years.

Together, they present Polyphony 3, the newest instalment of Blom’s Polyphony cycle, which follows the widely acclaimed 2019 Whirlwind release Polyphony. Cologne based pianist Pablo Held, joins the line-up as a guest throughout this record and saxophonist Ben van Gelder and bass clarinettist Joris Roelofs feature on one track.

Blom is known for his intelligent compositions which cover a wide range of stylistic influences and Polyphony 3 marks the latest chapter in his already esteemed career. “I like these long-term involvements,” says Blom, “because you allow something to develop. The quartet is a tight band and then because of that tightness, you can invite guests over, which highlights the polyphony from a different angle.” The album is inspired by the post-tonal tone-clock theory and Blom explains, “I actually took a couple of tone rows that inspired me melodically or harmonically and loosely based my writing on that particular hour.” The result is an absorbing and free-flowing album.

The record opens with ‘Midding’ (which is a word from John Koenig’s Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows and describes ‘the tranquil pleasure of being near a gathering, but not in it’).

“I'm really proud of this track,” says Blom, “because of COVID-19, we had to postpone the recording and concerts. So, we were able to grow into the music for a far longer period than otherwise.” ‘Zuri’ is an uplifting track with a medieval-influenced melody dedicated to Blom’s first granddaughter, featuring a particularly tender solo from Jesse van Ruller. ‘Jouska’ has a kinetic energy to it and is also named from the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows – referring to a 'hypothetical conversation that you compulsively play out in your head'.

“‘Lumen’ is a Bartók-influenced ballad and a personal favorite of Held’s, who insisted on playing it every time we had a gig,” recalls Blom. Held’s technical skills are on show here, performed with a mellow touch. ‘Chrysalism’ is a busier tune featuring Held on Wurtlitzer. “As a composer,” says Blom, “I think your whole hard disk is full of musical ideas that somehow never materialize or become a real composition. I never throw anything away and ‘Insomnia’ is based on a musical idea that I found scrolling through my hard disk and thinking wow, how on earth could I've missed this?” The track features talented guests Ben van Gelder on alto saxophone and Joris Roelofs on bass clarinet. ‘Des Vu’ brings this polyphonic tome to a close, encompassing the winding spirit of the whole album.

Polyphony 3 is an album documenting the journey so far of an intriguing musician who has invested time and care to carve out his distinctive and inimitable voice alongside his trusted peers. The remarkable interplay and mutual respect felt between these fine musicians is palpable throughout this cohesive yet multi-layered and cerebral new work.

Return to “Jazz Fusion (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”