FileCat premium

Holly Hofmann - Low Life: The Alto Flute Project (2014) [Post-Bop]; FLAC (tracks)

Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Neo-Bop
Mike1985
Uploader

Holly Hofmann - Low Life: The Alto Flute Project (2014) [Post-Bop]; FLAC (tracks)

Unread postby Mike1985 » 27 Mar 2024, 08:06

Artist: Holly Hofmann
Album: Low Life: The Alto Flute Project
Genre: Post-Bop
Label: Capri Records
Released: 2014
Quality: FLAC (tracks)
Tracklist:
  1. Jack Of Hearts 5:02
  2. Touch The Fog 6:46
  3. Grow (For Dick Oatts) 4:15
  4. Lumière De La Vie 5:45
  5. Cedar Would 5:48
  6. The Very Thought Of You 5:45
  7. Make Me Rainbows 5:06
  8. Soul-Leo 5:47
  9. Farmer's Trust 4:51

DOWNLOAD FROM FILECAT.NET >>>

Personnel:
  • Holly Hofmann: alto flute;
  • Mike Wofford: piano;
  • John Clayton: bass;
  • Anthony Wilson: guitar;
  • Jeff Hamilton: drums.

Hofmann occupies a stylistic area in jazz right down the middle of its mainstream, a now-classic genre built, like all classical genres, upon a perfect balance of elements–rhythmic, melodic and harmonic. When executed well, this music can stimulate, delight and still surprise.

All of this holds true for Low Life, although there is an unexpected element: for the first time, Hofmann plays alto flute exclusively throughout a recording. Apart from the duo recordings Ryerson made with guitarist Joe Beck (1997 & 2001), I do not know of any other examples of this; many jazz flutists employ the alto, often to good effect, but usually as a change of pace from the concert flute. In Hofmann’s case, devoting a whole album to the alto has influenced her approach not only to her solo work but to the repertoire and the general effect of the music. As Holly told me, she wanted to create something like an ‘easy listening’ record but “without the pablum . . . simply arranged songs that show the beauty of the music and the alto flute, something people can put on for a long drive, or while they make dinner, but which still holds up as a jazz album.”

She is entirely successful in this. Her handling of the alto is flawless, her accompanists are carefully chosen, top professionals and the arrangements perfectly reflect the aesthetic of Hofmann’s featured instrument. This recording is essential listening to all interested in the alto flute in jazz.

Return to “Bop (lossless - FLAC, APE, etc.)”